The castle :
The main building was built by Bernard BARBIER d'ENTREDEUX MONTS, account manager in Dijon, to replace the former châtelet. Work began in 1641 and was completed in 1654.
The ensemble is characteristic of the architecture of the reign of Louis XIII and the regency of Anne of AUSTRIA.
The two wings form galleries connecting the towers to the châtelet that used to replace the current building. They are Renaissance since they were built around 1530, shortly before the construction of the stables (1540/1550) which are located in the farm on the west side.
The two square towers are from the 15th century and are based on the foundations of the 11th century.
The West Tower, which houses a chapel on the ground floor, was originally a guard room. It still has two more defense loopholes. The altarpiece and the two credences date from the 17th century. It is most certainly at this time that the ridge vault was demolished and replaced by a simple ceiling. This chapel is dedicated to Saint Gertrude, abbess of the 7th century. Several elements suggest that a jail occupied the first floor of this tower in the 16th century.
At the beginning of the 16th century, a perfectly preserved round dovecote was built in the East Tower, which can be accessed via a staircase leading into the courtyard. This dovecote contains 1630 bunches (niches) of pottery.
It is likely that the moat also dates back to the 11th century. They were partially drained and filled in in the 19th century.
Remarkable elements :
- In the centre of the façade, a curved pediment still bears the arms of the BARBIER family.
- The decoration (known as "harp" decoration) of the facades are made of chains of stones whose heads are alternately short or long. This decoration reminds us of two private mansions in Dijon created at the same time by the architect LE MUET (1591-1669). With caution, we can assume that he is the author of the plans for Entre-deux-Monts.
- Inside the main building, there is a magnificent central stone staircase, with two flights of ramps on ramps. At each end of the building two small service stairs have been created. The heart of these two small stairs, intended for domestic use, was hollowed out in the 17th century to house dumbwaiters to serve the living room and dining room (on the ground floor) from the kitchens (in the basement). These small stairs communicate with the main rooms through back doors.
The Commons :
- The farmyard remains the testimony of the old farmhouse which had a very marked defensive character. Two parallel buildings are connected by a third perpendicular body with a portal in the centre. Few openings to the outside and square towers (now truncated) at each corner. It should be noted that the region was extremely troubled during the wars that preceded the final attachment of Franche-Comté to the Crown (Treaty of NIMEGUE, 1679). The farm was separated from the castle by a moat that had to be crossed by means of a lever bridge, which was then replaced by a dormant bridge with two stone arches and finally removed when the northern moat was filled.